Bindu Bhaskaran NAIR
Academic & Professional Qualifications
MA in English for Specific Purposes, City University of Hong Kong (2009)
PhD V Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India (2000)
M.Phil V Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India (1994)
Masters-Mahatma Gandhi University, India (1991)
Bachelors-Mahatma Gandhi University, India (1988)
Senior Lecturer, Department of English, Hong Kong Shue Yan University (2000-Present)
Gender and Culture in Asia
Nature and Spirituality
University Grants Commission [UGC], Government of India, Junior Research Fellowship and Eligibility for Lectureship in University. Holder; since December 1991.
University Grants Commissions [UGC], Senior Research Fellow since January 1995.
Materials Development in ESP
Short Projects Undertaken
1. Independent study on Curriculum Development in ESP
2. A short project on student's attitude and belief towards grammar in Hong Kong
- Sci-Writing-Writing in Sciences from Stanford Open EdX,
- Constructive Classroom Conversations: Mastering Language for the common core State standards, Stanford University Online.
- Seven Essential Practices for Developing Academic Oral Language and Literacy, Stanford University Online
- Enrolled for doing a nine weeks course starting Dec 2015 on Designing for Deeper Learning: How to develop Performance Tasks, Stanford University Online.
Nair, Bindu. (1997)"Gender roles in traditional sector in Kerala." IASSI Quarterly, December 1997. Indian Institute of Manpower Research.
Nair, Bindu. (1994) Abstract of M.Phil Dissertation in Labour Abstract Journal. Indian Council for Social Sciences Research, May 1994.
Nair, Bindu. (1998) "Gender in relation with labour in Industries in Kerala." Indian Journal of Social Work (April 1998). Bombay: Tata Institute of Social Sciences.
Nair, B., ‘Genre Colony: Analysis of Dating and Matrimonial Advertisements’, First International Conference on Language and Linguistic studies 2015, April 9-10 2015, Hong Kong
Lee, S., & Nair, B. "The language of personal advertisements: A textual analysis of dating and matrimonial ads from three discourse communities" , Second International Conference on Language and Linguistic studies 2016, June 23-24 2016, Hong Kong
Service to wider community
Oral assessor for the LPATE (Language Proficiency Assessment for Teachers) conducted by the Education department, Hong Kong from 2009 onwards
Adjudicator for the Hong Kong Federation of Youth Groups-Standard Chartered Hong Kong English Public speaking Contest 2015