Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in English (Self-financing Programme)
Programme Type: Bachelor's Degree
Mode of Delivery: Face-to-face (Full-time)
Normal Programme Duration: 4.0 Year(s)
1. HKDSE Level 3 in Chinese and English, and Level 2 in Mathematics and Liberal Studies plus Level 2 in one elective subject
2. Hong Kong Associate Degree/Higher Diploma Holders (of locally accredited programmes); or Completion of one year's study in a locally accredited Hong Kong Associate Degree/Higher Diploma programme with a GPA of 2.5 (out of a 4.0 scale) or above
3. At least two GCE A-level subjects at Grade E or above (excluding Chinese). Two AS subjects are considered to be equivalent to one A-level subject. The same subject will not be counted at both the A-level and AS-level.
4. IB: Overall score at least 24 points
5. Chinese Language Requirements for applicants with overseas qualifications: Grade D in GCE A/AS level in Chinese; or A minimum of point 4 in IB Chinese A; or Equivalent of the above
6. English Language Requirements for applicants with overseas qualifications: A minimum of 5.5 IELTS; or A minimum of 550 (paper-based) and 79 (internet-based) in TOEFL; or Equivalent of the above*
*HKSYU will also consider English result a candidate attained from international public examination (including but not limited to IB/GCE/SAT).
7. Mature applicants must be over the age of 23 by 1 September of the year of admission and be able to demonstrate sufficient motivation, knowledge and potential to indicate a high probability of being able to complete the programme successfully.
Remarks: Prospective mature applicants are invited to discuss their application with the Head of Department concerned in advance of the application period. Successful mature candidates will be admitted on an individual and exceptional basis.
8. Other equivalent academic qualifications (subject to assessment by the University). Please visit Admission Routes.
Work Placement (Elective)
Duration: 12 weeks
Year of study: Year 2 or Year 3
Number of working hours: 120 hours
Teaching approach: co-supervised by a university academic staff and a workplace supervisor
Non-government Financial Assistance from the Institution: Yes
For more detailed information, please visit here.
Full Exemption from the Language Proficiency Requirement : Starting from 1 April 2009, graduates from our Honours Degree Programme will be exempted from the Language Proficiency Requirement (English Language).